Section 24 of the Limited Liability Partnerships Act provides that a partnership may convert itself into a limited liability partnership.
Section 15 of the Registration of Business Names Act then provides that where a business ceases to carry on business, the individual/personal representative, or the corporation, as the case may be, shall within three months after the business has ceased to be carried on, issue a notice of cessation to the Registrar.
Process of Converting a Business Name to LLP
- Log in to the e-Citizen self-service portal.
- Select Business Registration Service for “cessation of business name to convert”
- Attach a copy of your current business name and registration certificate.
- Fill out the Notice of Cessation of a Business, sign and upload.
- Pay the required fees- Kshs. 800.
- Upon application, the Registrar shall issue a Certificate of Cessation of Business Name.
- Log into the e-Citizen self- service portal to start the application for registration of the LLP.
- Select Business Service Registration- select Limited Liability Partnership.
- Submit three (3) proposed names. (You will receive confirmation of the approved name within 24 hours)
- Fill in the required details as follows, download the statement of particulars, have it signed by the proprietor(s) then upload:
- details of the proposed Partners and Manager(s)
- General nature of business of the LLP- you will need to provide proof i.e. Practicing Certificates, letter of no objection, depending on the nature of business.
- Proposed registered office address of the Partnership.
- Postal Address and Phone/mobile numbers.
- Pay the required fees – Kshs. 25,000.
- The Registrar of Companies shall at their discretion register the LLP, and thereafter issue a Certificate of Registration.
- ID card copy – for each Partner and Manager.
- KRA Pin Certificate – for each Partner and Manager.
- 2 original passport photos – for each Partner and Manager.